A Celebration of 150 Years for the McAllister House July 23

   Visit The McAllister House Museum for a celebration of Colorado Springs and enjoy sipping wine on the historic grounds of the McAllister House Museum July 23rd, 2021, 6-8pm.
   The McAllister House Museum is located to the south of Colorado College on the wide, tree-shaded Cascade Avenue. This small, English-style cottage built in 1873 was the home of the Henry McAllister family that was influential in the establishment of Colorado Springs. It was opened to the public as a museum in 1961 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Its address is 423 N. Cascade Ave. in Colorado Springs. To learn more about this great museum call 719-635-7925 or go to mcallister.curator@gmail.com.
The History of the McAllister House
   When most of the houses of the some 240 residents of Fountain Colony, later known as Colorado Springs, were little more than temporary timber shelters, Major Henry McAllister and his wife Elizabeth Couper McAllister built a house of bricks.
   The house plans were prepared by the Philadelphia architect, George Summers, who also designed General Palmer’s Glen Eyrie residence and Grace Episcopal Church.
   Henry McAllister took great interest and care in the construction of this house for his family who was so far from their long-established community of Darby, Pennsylvania. After a high wind destroyed some houses in the new colony, he decided to add another layer of bricks to the building. It is commonly thought that these bricks were transported by train from Philadelphia. It is known that he did import the three marble fireplaces that exist in the house. Some of the interior finish work and the porch rails were constructed by Winfield Scott Stratton, who later became a mining millionaire after discovering the Independence Mine in Cripple Creek, CO. The unique truncated gables seem to anchor the house to the open prairie.
   Major McAllister made his home in this small house until his death in 1921. For the next 30 plus years the house was rented by the family to Mrs. Fanny Robbins who used the house for a candy and “wedding gift” shop. Upon her death in 1958, the family sold the house.
   In 1961 a historic preservation group, the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in Colorado, with the help of the El Pomar Foundation and Shepard’s Citations, was able to buy and restore the house.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *